Monday, April 27, 2009

The Wedding Dress


Last week I went shopping with the eldest, Yvonne, for wedding dresses. The plan was to meet downtown and hit a few of the stores to sample their wares. I took the GO train down, and amused myself by listening to my iPod and playing peekaboo with the little fellow in the seat in front of me. On arrival I dutifully met up with Yvonne outside of Cinnabun.

We decided that we would go to Yorkville. It was a beautiful day for walking around, we could hit the stores, grab a drink on an outdoor patio, and later meet up with our fellas for dinner. A perfectly planned day. While both Yvonne and I are directionally challenged, we were able to make our way via subway to the area we wanted. And with only a few false starts, were able to get directions to where we wanted to be.

Now understand, I was under strict orders to look nice. So my hair was freshly washed and dried, and there was a haze of hairspray lingering over my head. I had put on both lipstick and mascara. I wore jeans with no holes, a nicely patterned denim shirt, and a pair of heeled slip on shoes. I was prepared!

And then we started walking.

Well, within 5 minutes my feet were sore. Stupidly, I neglected to wear stockings on my feet and before long I was limping along the sidewalk like a gimp. I was in pain. The ever-helpful Yvonne started to ask people on the street where we could buy stockings, and we were directed to a store.

The sales woman was lovely, very helpful in trying to sell me $30.00 stockings, but we finally settled on a reasonable amount for a pair. And then I took off my shoes.

The poor sales woman! She looked at my feet and said "oh my!" I had no skin on the outer aspects of my little toes. Blood was oozing down my feet. I was kindly offered bandages and peroxide, and bled through the first four bandages. With 4 new bandages on my toes we finally left the store.

But my feet would not cooperate. Every step was agony. I plodded along flat footed, my legs bowed like I had a bowling ball wedged between them, just to avoid pressing my shoes against my toes. This just wasn't working. So now we were in search of sandals. When we finally found some sandals, my old shoes were bagged and finally the hunt for a dress began.

Now I must admit, we only got to try on one dress. But what a vision she was in it. A mermaid style with a lacy train, Yvonne suddenly looked grown up, and more beautiful then ever. No matter what she settles on, she will undoubtedly be a beautiful bride.

But somehow we kept circling the same park over and over, wandering aimlessly, and finally abandoned our search in preference of wine on an outdoor patio. And not a moment too soon.

Having bled through my bandages again, my feet were sticky with blood. And to make it worse, I had now rubbed raw the area between my big toe and the next little guy. I had developed water blisters that had burst and were draining serous fluid down my feet. I began to take on the appearance of something from The Night of the Living Dead.

After meeting up with our guys, we had dinner and finally headed home. My feet were throbbing, itchy, and swollen. I soaked my poor feet when I got home, but continue to leave trails of sticky serous goo on my floors. My toes are still bleeding.

But was it worth it? Absolutely. Because I got a glimpse of the future...Yvonne encased in a flowing white gown, the look of anticipation on her face as she tried the dress on, the excited chatter about her vision of her wedding.

And I learned a valuable lesson. The question is, how can I make my Crocks match a cocktail length dress when the time comes?

1 comment:

  1. What a great story...sorry to hear about your feet though, and I hope they're healing nicely! It makes me flash forward to the time when it'll be Sophie and I on that search for the perfect dress...kinda makes me a little teary.

    ReplyDelete