Saturday, April 11, 2009

P is for...

Good Friday was just that..a good and glorious, sunny day. As such, it only made sense that I would take my dog, Shelby, to the dog park for a play date with any and every dog available. We had a great time. She ran, she sniffed, she swam. All in all, a relatively successful day at the park.


The other reason I love going to the dog park is to take pictures. I love photography, and enjoy snapping photos of anything that strikes my fancy. I make a point of looking up and down, back and forth, so that I do not miss an opportunity.

So as we wandered around, Shelby galloped and I snapped pictures of anything that struck me as interesting. I was looking, in particular, for signs of spring. Fresh green buds sprouting from the warm earth, nests being built in anticipation of things to come, ice clinging to the banks of the stream.

Amid all the muck and debris left behind from winter, I found a cluster of small yellow flowers. They were struggling to get out from underneath the remains of winter, and the contrast of seasons was just what I had been searching for. So with that, I crouched down in the mud to snap some shots.

Of course Shelby was interested in what I was doing and was milling about trying to see what was holding my interest. Luckily another dog, a Spaniel, came around the corner, so off she went to introduce herself.

Now, you must understand that Shelby is a bit of a Mommas girl. She won't go too far, and always comes to find me if she can no longer see me. So shortly after the sniff-fest began, she came bounding back to me with the Spaniel in tow.

I noted the two of then out of the corner of my eye, but was rather focused on the yellow flowers. And then it happened.

As I was snapping away with the camera, I vaguely noticed that something had changed. Things seemed to have gotten strangely quiet, and then I heard the gasp. As I turned my head to see what was going on, I saw, and felt, what had made the Spaniels owner pause.

Beside me was the Spaniel. Leg lifted high in the air, he was peeing on me! I'd like to think that I was so still, so intent on my cause, that he mistook me for a rock. But at the end of the day, I was natures outhouse, and he was using it.

So, with my track pants wet from hip to knee, I stood up and looked at this dog. His tail was wagging, his tongue was lolling, and all in all he was quite pleased with himself. Shelby, being of no help at all, just stood there watching. Her tail, too, was wagging, and I think there was a little smile on her doggy face.

The Spaniels owner was caught between horror and humor. She offered me a rather pathetic apology...it's hard to accept "I'm sooo sorry" when the person is laughing at you.

With that, I gathered the shredded remains of my dignity and headed for the exit. I was a tremendous hit with every dog we passed.

We left the park.


1 comment:

  1. LOL!!!!!! i think that you and kevin are soulmates!!! (ask him about his close encounter of the canine kind the next time you see him).

    ReplyDelete